Historical Points of Interest in Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, NJ
Established in 1739, Morris County NJ has no shortage of historic sites. Explore the richness of the past in Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, then plan a visit from West Caldwell or West Caldwell to see it first-hand!
The Revolutionary War
George Washington’s army was encamped near Parsippany in Morristown, NJ in the winter of 1779-1780, so the area is packed with historical importance. Morristown is just less than 10 miles down the road and holds the Morristown National Historical Park, Washington Headquarters and Museum, but there are many historic points of interest from the war directly in the Parsippany-Troy Hills Township:
- The Benjamin Howell House: This house may have been used for military conferences and planning during the Revolutionary War, as Benjamin Howell was a local political figure in support of the revolution. This building remains a private residence so it can only be observed in passing.
- The Livingston-Benedict House: William Livingston was a brigadier general and Governor of New Jersey during the war, as well as one the signers of the Constitution. Though this location was used as a safe house when British troops were too near to Livingston’s main house in Elizabeth NJ, an assassination attempt by British sympathizers was also thwarted at this house. The Benedict family bought the house in 1857 and have been residents ever since, hosting open houses once a year.
- Vail Memorial Cemetery: This cemetery is the final resting place for many soldiers that fought in the American Revolution.
Post-Colonial Historic Sites in Parsippany
- Old Littleton Schoolhouse: The oldest remaining schoolhouse in the township of Parsippany-Troy Hills was built in 1796. After several owners and custodians over the centuries, it was restored in 2001 by the township and is open for school tours and on special occasions.
- Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms: This 26-acre farm was owned by the famed designer Gustav Stickley of the early 20th-century Arts and Crafts movement. He built a log cabin on the land in 1911 and used it as a school for the movement, and the grounds are now open to the public as a museum.
- Mount Tabor Historic District: What is now an unincorporated residential area of Parsippany started as a Methodist summer camp meeting site in 1869. Take a slow drive or stroll through this neighborhood to see the beautifully-preserved colorful Victorian cottages and gardens.
National Register of Historic Places
In Parsippany-Troy Hills Township alone there are eight sites on the National Register of Historic Places, including a few already mentioned above:
- Beverwyck Site: U.S. 46 and S. Beverwyk Rd.
- Bowers-Livingston-Osbourne House: 25 Parsippany Rd.
- Bowlesby-Degelleke House: 320 Baldwin Rd.
- Stephen Condit House: Northeast of Beverwyck Rd. off of U.S. 46
- Craftsman Farms: NJ 10 and Manor Ln.
- Benjamin Howell House: 709 S. Beverwyck Rd.
- Greystone Park State Psychiatric Hospital Gas Works: Old Dover Rd.
- Mount Tabor Historic District: Off of U.S. 53
Explore the Area With Us!
If you want to brush up on your history in more areas nearby, check out our guide to historic places near West Caldwell, and discover points of interest in Wayne, NJ. As always, rely on Paul Miller Toyota of West Caldwell for your automotive needs!
More From Paul Miller Toyota of West Caldwell
The 2019 Toyota Highlander is a family-friendly SUV for West Caldwell and Wayne drivers. See what the experts have to say in their Toyota Highlander reviews below, then browse our inventory to find a Toyota Highlander for sale at Paul Miller Toyota of West Caldwell. View Inventory Contact Us Toyota Highlander Standard Equipment Reviews Critics are impressed with the inclusion of…
Established in 1739, Morris County NJ has no shortage of historic sites. Explore the richness of the past in Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, then plan a visit from West Caldwell or West Caldwell to see it first-hand! Contact Us The Revolutionary War George Washington’s army was encamped near Parsippany in Morristown, NJ in the winter of 1779-1780, so…
Get into your dream SUV in a color that’s for you thanks to the wide selection of 2019 Toyota RAV4 colors! Make your daily West Caldwell drive shine with interior and exterior colors that are sure to please every discerning driver. New Toyota RAV4 Contact Us RAV4 Color Options: LE Trim Exterior Colors: Galactic Aqua Mica, Electric…